Invisalign for beautiful smiles
Gone are the days when you need metal and wires to straighten your teeth. These days, orthodontic technology means you can enjoy the benefits of orthodontic treatment without anyone knowing you’re wearing an appliance – unless you tell them of course!
Invisalign is one such orthodontic technology that has transformed the treatment experience for patients. Using virtually invisible aligners that are custom-made to your teeth, Invisalign can straighten your teeth and achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of.
How does Invisalign work?
To move your teeth into a straighter position, gentle force needs to be applied. This is the method behind traditional metal braces. Invisalign aligners also use gentle force to straighten your teeth but do so without the use of metal brackets and archwires.
Instead, Invisalign uses a series of clear plastic removable aligners that look like thin sports mouthguards. These aligners, which have been created from precise impressions taken of your teeth, fit over your teeth and, because they’re made from clear plastic, no one can tell you’re wearing them.
Every two weeks you need to change your aligners for the next set in the series (you will be given sufficient aligners to last 8 to 12 weeks). Each set of aligners works on the previous one, guiding your teeth into the desired position. For optimal results you need to wear the aligners for 22 hours per day.
How effective is Invisalign
Invisalign is an extremely effective method of straightening teeth. Around the world more than 5 million people have been treated using Invisalign aligners. These aligners are also more comfortable to wear than fixed braces and can achieve results more quickly than traditional appliances.
If you have a minor orthodontic problem affecting the front six teeth you could benefit from Invisalign’s express aligners, which can achieve results in as little as three to six months. For more complex orthodontic cases, Invisalign aligners take approximately 12 to 18 months.
Who is Invisalign for?
Experienced Invisalign orthodontists, like those members of The Invisible Orthodontist (TIO), can use Invisalign aligners to treat major and minor orthodontic cases in children, teens and adults.
There are three different types of Invisalign aligners available:
- Invisalign Comprehensive: This version of Invisalign aligners is designed to treat major orthodontic cases and may take up to 18 months.
- Invisalign Express: Invisalign Express has been designed to treat minor orthodontic cases affecting the front six teeth. Results can be achieved in as little as three to six months
- Invisalign First: Invisalign First aligners have been designed to widen the arches of children’s jaws and prepare them for orthodontic treatment in the future if required.
5 benefits of Invisalign
- Treatment no one can see: Invisalign aligners are made from clear medical-grade plastic which means they are virtually invisible. Customised to your mouth, they fit snugly over your teeth enabling you to enjoy the benefits of treatment without anyone knowing you’re having it in the first place!
- Easy to remove: One of the greatest benefits of Invisalign aligners is that they’re removable. Sitting down for dinner? Just take them out and put them safely in their case (not in a napkin!). Brushing your teeth after breakfast? Take your aligners out to give your teeth the ultimate brush and floss. With removable aligners you can enjoy your normal diet and keep up your regular oral hygiene routine, making it easy to fit orthodontic treatment into your lifestyle.
- Customised for comfort: Traditional metal braces come as one size fits all, and although the brackets fitted to your teeth are small, they’re not designed specifically for the shape of your mouth. Invisalign aligners are. Customised for you, the aligners are extremely comfortable to wear, their smooth surface reducing the risk of rubbing or mouth ulcers.
- Accurate results: Invisalign treatment is designed specifically for every individual patient. The treatment software allows your orthodontist to plan the movement of your teeth down to the slightest adjustment, which can make all the difference. The accurate results Invisalign aligners can achieve also come in a safe and natural way. Rather than forcing your teeth to move, which can lead to problems such as root resorption, where the root of a tooth can breakdown leading to tooth loss, Invisalign aligners move your teeth much more gradually and therefore offer a safer treatment method.
- Beautiful smiles: Invisalign aligners aren’t actually fitted to the surface of your teeth, rather they sit snugly over the top. This means that come the end of treatment there’s no risk of any damage to your tooth enamel or the surface of your teeth. What you’re left with is a beautifully straight smile you can wear with confidence.